205 Beers Challenge

The Sheffield Tap, which is a resplendent tiled restored pub at Sheffield train station (and a Thornbridge foray), has a huge bottled beer selection; it’s also one of my new locals. If you perch over the bar you can count at least 8 fridges holding the shiny, welcoming bottles. I thought it would be a bit of a challenge to work through the list, in no particular order, just to add some element of surprise and worked out it may take just over one year (if you do it sensibly)! There are 205 beers on the current list and it's subject to change, so strike while the iron’s hot, as they say. I picked up this handy pocket sized book recently called ’33 Bottles of Beer’ and it’s a perfect little beer journal, too be honest that’s 100% what it was made for. Or as the website states a companion and memory guide, which after a few pints it’s definitely a useful tool. The beer journal was developed by an American home-brewer called Dave and you’ve guessed it, he’s from Portland, Oregon. I only mention this as Portland seems to be this mythical American town in food and drink terms; a hotbed of activity of food and drink crazes, styles and techniques. Have a look at The Guardian’s little feature on places to eat listed in the links below; my favourite sounding food shack in the article has to be Pok Pok, a Thai-style rotisserie chicken shack. Beth Ditto from The Gossip lives there apparently, I don’t know why I mentioned that really but I now have ‘Standing in the Way of Control’ playing in my head, aaarghhh.


I’ll keep posting the pages from the book as I get through the beer….but here’s a start…

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/mar/08/portland-oregon-food-budget-restaurants

http://www.33beers.com/












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carnivale Brettanomyces (Brett Will Eat Everything)

Kickstarter - Dust & Grooves