Jim C's Comic & Beer Inspired Print Launch

Kelham Island Brewery need little introduction as their beer does the talking for them. I’d take a punt that most Sheffield residents have had a sup of Pale Rider in their time. Having been brewing for over twenty years they are often cited, with good reason, as a real driving force in Sheffield’s beer scene. I know comic book inspired artist Jim Connolly has definitely supped a few pints of Pale Rider in his time and no doubt this is how the successful collaboration between the two started – over a pint of ale.  With the launch of his new print paying homage to Pale Rider I caught up with Jim to talk about comics and beer.


Artist Jim C launches a new print paying homage to Kelham Island Brewery's flagship beer Pale Rider




Video trailer by Northshot here.




Q: Let's talk comics first as it's a major inspiration on your art. Can you share with us some of your key inspirations?

Yeah sure. My favourite comic book artist has to be Brian Bolland who is most famous for The Killing Joke, which has a famous picture of the Joker with a camera on the cover. He is untouchable in terms of black and white line-art. Other guys who spring to mind are Paul Grist, Mike Mignola, Tim Sale and Jamie Hewlett. I like people who aren't afraid to use plenty of style and keep things fairly simple rather than drowning everything in gradients and wishy washy fx.

Q: Any new comics or artists you're checking at the moment?

I'm late to the party but the DC work of Glasgow man Frank Quitely is turning my head a lot. He has a scratchy style that can be soft or menacing.


Q: When & how did your partnership with Kelham Island Brewery start?

I did a pump for them last year called 'King of the Rocketmen' which kicked things off nicely. It's based on a 1940s TV serial I used to watch in the summer hols as a kid. Kelham's Mick Williams had the brainwave that it would be a good inspiration for a beer.

Q: Have you been involved with the brewing process at all for the Kelham Island beers you've designed the labels for? Or have the brewers been involved with sharing their beer ideas to help guide your label ideas?

I've not done any brewing but we did all sit down at the start of the 'Light vs Dark' series to figure out how the comic characters and beers would reflect and complement each other i.e. Dunkel Devastator packs a punch in beer form so had to be a full-on looking comic character.


Q: The Light Vs Dark series for Kelham sees a good versus evil comic story unfolding. Heroes Crimson Steel & Tin Can Avenger fighting villains Mistress Flame & Gentleman Death amongst other characters in the series. Beer styles encompassed by the characters include ruby ales, Baltic porters, double IPAs and dark German wheat beer. Out of the characters which was your favourite and give us a little detail why?

Drawing 'Mistress Flames' was a big highlight for me. I'm really chuffed with her vampy allure and I think she reflects a ruby ale nicely. There's a Mike Mignola comic cover with Batgirl jumping through a window looking as cool and sinister as Batman and it was a great inspiration for a female badass!


'Light vs Dark' also continues with part 4: Mistress Flames, hitting the pumps shortly. More info on the print here.


Q: Have you tried all the beers, perks of the commission surely.....What's your favourite beer out of the series and why?

I've tried each beer as it's launched and so far 'Gentleman Death' gets my vote. I think 'Mind Control' is going to be a close contender though.


Q: Are there any more beery collaborations in the pipeline and if so are you able to share any detail?

Yep there's a follow-up to my first Kelham pump soon called 'Radar Men From The Moon' which is a sequel to the pump I kicked off with. There are more films in the series so I may end up with more Rocketmen in the future (touch wood). I know that the work we've done together has been well received so it seems likely the Batphone will be ringing again soon!
My big news is that, to make a bit more out of the collaboration, I've rustled up a print celebrating their flagship ale 'Pale Rider'. This gets a launch on Friday 3rd May. I've re-imagined the Kelham Island Quarter as a scene from a Wild West movie, featuring the Fat Cat, Brewery & the Chimney House. The Rider rolls into town, pint in hand, to settle some old scores.


Q: I hear you've an alter ego - Jim Son of Batman, a guitar playing DC comic book inspired character. Will there be any upcoming appearances from your alternate Batman..... Tramlines?

That's right although we are called 'The Friends of Batman' these days. We rarely gig as we're all old gits but Tramlines has become a must for us. I'm not sure where yet but hopefully somewhere like the Harley if they'll have us. Earplugs advisable!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carnivale Brettanomyces (Brett Will Eat Everything)

Brew Like A Pro